SCHOOL VISION: Robinson ISD will develop leaders and productive citizens by cultivating a passion for learning and desire for excellence.
GOAL: Improve teacher use of applications and wireless devices in the classroom to promote deeper learning and problem-solving in the biology and English classroom in order to improve student learning.
I think your plan looks great! I thought about doing my action research plan over this topic as well because my school is allowing BYOT this next year. I think BYOT can take student learning to a completely different level, but I also think it is going to be a very difficult classroom management problem if not monitored and used correctly. Can't wait to see what you find out! I would love to be of any help to you as I can, since I will undergoing all the hurdles and seeing all the benefits of BYOT as well.
ReplyDeleteI bleed maroon as well.. gig 'em! :)
Dawn,
ReplyDeleteThis should be an interesting endeavor. I toyed with this idea and tried it out with a few students and discussed it with my incoming students for next year. Presentation was a little catchier without a power point. I used my own device and logged into my Google Docs account simultaneously. Students were able to see me navigate and type as I walked around the room. Conroe ISD provides each student with a Google Docs account to use. This provided a platform for all students to collaborate regardless of device or program. The only thing required was for the student to have internet access and to get on to Google Docs. We should find some time to work together. I have some interesting ideas about using other programs for tutorials, differentiated instruction, DAEP assignments, students traveling, home bound, and ill students.
One thing that I need to work on is a student use contract. The school has an acceptable use policy in place and WiFi to enforce most of the policy.
Any thoughts?
Nick, I try to use a variety of tools with my students. Google docs has given our teachers some problems but I do want to use it to keep giving my students tools for their future. My action research plan is on a google doc so that when I update, it automatically changes my doc in my blog.
DeleteHere is our AUP and the additions of BYOD terms. I hope the link works.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uglc64972k1wy1q/new_aup.docx
Thanks for the feedback guys!
DeleteDawn,
ReplyDeleteI am trying to get my action research plan into a smaller format. It is taking up the whole page and running over other things!!! Did you place a gadget or something for your plan? I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
I hit the wrong button when I commented. Hope you see it below.
DeleteI have experience with embedding and blog design so I went and played with my settings for the embed. The embed itself was a little hairy. The resource section in our course has instructions for placing your spreadsheet on the blog so I followed those and then adjusted for it to look good. First you have to get your spreadsheet into Google Docs. Then you get the embed code and embed into the post. (Looking at your blog, you can widen your typing space. But it looks fine on my computer. Remember everyone has a different screen so it will look different on each one depending on monitor.) Then I adjusted the width settings on my blog and the spreadsheet. So first to adjust the width of your blog, Under Design, go to template, then Customize under your template, then click Adjust widths and it will widen the space of your blog. If you embedded the spreadsheet, on the embed code, you can change the width. Hope this helps. You can email or comment if not.
ReplyDeleteI forgot about the instruction sheet. I am sure my husband would find this funny. I also never set a timer when I cook. lol. Thanks, I am going to work on it tomorrow. Your site and plan is looking great! Thanks, again.
ReplyDeleteDawn,
ReplyDeleteFirst off - do you have a "follow" button that is not email? Not that I mind email, but it is nice to have some of the blogs I am following show up on my home page. I am not that good with blogger yet, so I may be wrong about that one.
Second - thank you so much for your comments on my blog. I look forward to seeing how your BYOD program works. I am at the stage of determining if our policy needs to be changed. We are a 1-to-1 campus and it seems that the kids start to gravitate towards their phones even over the laptops. It is interesting.
One of the largest reasons I am interested in your blog is your research on certain applications for smart phones and ways they can be deployed in classrooms. I hope that my research will show that we need a policy like yours and from there, I can start working on a trial class to allow some of the ideas you are going to research in your project.
Dawn,
ReplyDeleteGreat job so far with your action research plan. I appreciate your attention to detail, and I love the topic of researching means to encourage teachers to branch out with technology, including varying applications and wireless devices. This area of research is still valid and relevant. Keep up the excellent work!
Dr. Abshire